Thursday 20 October 2022

Sneak peek of The Bodyguard's Vessel!

 He teetered to the edge of the pool.

“Eban, no! You are too drunk.” I said sternly, putting all my alpha authority into my voice. He needed to listen.

He glared at me in clear indignation and poked me in the chest. “You don’t get to tell me what to do!”

“Yes, I do.”

His eyes narrowed. “Why? Because you are all brooding and gorgeous and kind in bed?”

I stared at him. Kind? I didn’t think I had been kind. I’d been far too horny, far to stupid to be truly kind. I hadn’t figured it out then and had mostly thought he was acting strange because it was an effect of being ripe. If he thought that last night had been kind, what on earth was he used to?

Whatever he saw in my expression, he clearly didn’t like. He huffed in annoyance and stepped back away from me before losing his balance and falling into the pool with an almighty splash.

The pool probably wasn’t deep. It was likely he could stand up in it. Or that the shock would sober him up, and if not he was such a graceful little shit he probably could swim whilst stupidly drunk.

I didn’t wait to find out. I dived in after him, fully clothed. I found him quickly under the water and pulled him into my arms. The pool was shallow enough for me to stand up in, holding him in a bridal carry. I stared down at him. Under the water he had flung his arms around my neck. He didn’t remove them. Just stared up at me as water streamed off of him.

I reflexively tightened my grip on him. My wolf never wanted to let him go. ‘Mine,” it insisted. Except he wasn’t mine. He was Hyde’s and that was never going to change. 

The pool was heated but the air was chilly.

“Let’s get you inside and dried off before you catch a cold,” I said, when there were so many other things I wanted to say.

He stared deep into my eyes. An intense look in his gaze as if he wanted to say things too. I waited with bated breath, but after a long tense moment he merely sighed and rested his head against my shoulder. That small trusting gesture, made my heart go crazy.

I carried him out of the pool and down the stairs. All the way to his room. I only wished I could keep on walking and carry him out of the house and out of his life.

But he wasn’t mine and I could not keep him.



Coming November 14th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sneak peek of Duke Sothbridge's Vessel

 “Good afternoon, Mr. Richards,” I thankfully manage to say. “Good afternoon, Master Witherington. I trust you know what this is?” he says a...